Friday, April 22, 2016

Chile Rellenos Casserole

Oh I just love chile rellenos (RAY-yenos). But they are a pain to fix, so I was ecstatic when I found this recipe. The same great taste without nearly the mess.

Mine is definitely not the norm as I put meat in mine, which is utterly not necessary. Regular chile rellenos don't use meat, but since we had Eggplant Parmigiano the day before, which is also meatless, I figured my husband my die on the spot, so I made it this way.

Let me tell you. We liked to founder on this stuff. It was that good. For you Northerners who have trouble with ingredients, I have a few suggestions.

INGREDIENTS:

  • 8-10 Hatch or Anaheim chiles (Anaheims are from California but they were developed right here in NM, so don't be the least embarrassed to use them. They are common in most major supermarkets now. These must be roasted, peeled and seeded. 
  • 1/2 lb or so of your favorite cheese. For this I used a combination of Monterey Jack and Sharp Cheddar. 
  • 1 lb of pork sausage cooked until done and broken up. 
  • 2/3 c chopped onions
  • 5 eggs
  • 1/2 c milk
  • 3 tbsp flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
INSTRUCTIONS:
  1. To roast the chiles, place them on parchment on a cookie sheet and place under the broiler. When blistered, turn over and do the other side. Slip immediately into plastic bags and seal. Allow to cool. The peel will come off easily. Slice off the top, slit down and scrape out most of the seeds. Set aside.
  2. Cook down the sausage and onions, until both are done. Set aside to cool.
  3. Shred all your cheese and mix together. 
  4. When ready to assemble, whisk the eggs with the milk and then mix in the flour and baking powder in a bowl. 
  5. Using an 8 x 8 casserole, start with some butter or crisco to just cover the bottom and sides to prevent sticking. Then layer half of the chiles on the bottom.
  6. Add 1/2 of the sausage and onions, spreading out.
  7. Cover with half the cheese mixture.
  8. Repeat. 
  9. Now pour the custard over the top and around the edges. 
  10. Bake in a 375 oven for about 40 minutes until all nice and puffy and browning on the top. 
SERVES: 4

NOTES: You can buy canned whole chiles in cans, and sometimes you can find chiles roasted, seeded and peeled frozen in some supermarkets. I prefer making my own, and Anaheim chiles are readily available most places. But it is worth a jaunt to a local Hispanic market if you can. 

SOURCE: New Mexican Recipes (FB) Kandace Jimenez

No comments:

Post a Comment